How to Comment:

Tap the quote mark to comment on articles.

Mercer

This post is part of our “Dear E.B.” series, in which Mercer’s very own advice columnist (“E.B.,” for Employee Benefits) responds to questions concerning health and well-being that are on the minds of employees across the country.

Dear E.B.,

Help! Last year I signed up for our company’s high-deductible plan, but a couple of months ago my husband stepped on my toddler’s ball and broke his ankle. What with the ER and the follow up we blew through our deductible. I did not budget for that and now we’re starting the new year already behind!! So I’m all stressed out and my doctor says that’s bad for my blood pressure and will make my diabetes worse. How can we get back on track?

Financially Challenged

Helpful
Not Helpful
Expand Story

This post is part of our “Dear E.B.” series, in which Mercer’s very own advice columnist (“E.B.,” for Employee Benefits) responds to questions concerning health and well-being that are on the minds of employees across the country.

Dear E.B.,

I am two months pregnant and have a previous history of miscarriages, so my doctor is considering me a high-risk pregnancy. I’m in a high-deductible health plan so I’m really worried about costs, but I want to make sure I get the highest quality of care for me and my baby. I’m also really worried about how this pregnancy is going to affect my job. Can we have a confidential discussion? I would be interested to know if I am eligible for any paid time-off benefits -- and if I take it, will my manager hold my job for me?

Sincerely,

Overwhelmed Future New Mom

Helpful
Not Helpful
Expand Story

Dear E.B.,

I am new to the plan as I just changed jobs. My son has hemophilia and I’m very concerned about his welfare and continued treatment under a new plan. I know hemophilia is a very rare condition but I was wondering if you had any guidance on how I can assure he continues to get good care under my new coverage -- particularly since we have a high-deductible plan.

Feeling Stressed

Helpful
Not Helpful
Expand Story

Dear E.B.,

My employer just changed our benefits. They added this medical plan called a “CDHP plan” and some other things called “Voluntary Benefits.” The cost for my current plan, with a $350 deductible, is going up by 23% and I don’t think I can afford it anymore. The cost of the CDHP plan is a lot lower but I’m worried that if I get sick or have an accident, I wouldn’t be able to come up with the cash to go to the doctor -- or worse yet, pay for any time in the hospital. If I enroll in that CDHP plan I feel like I’ll never be able to leave the house and have to keep myself away from all the germs that could get me sick. It is flu season… Help!!!!

Living in a Hazmat Suit

Helpful
Not Helpful
Expand Story

Dear E.B.,

I enrolled in a high-deductible plan with a Health Savings Account last year because it had the lowest paycheck deduction. My employer contributes money to the account and I was hoping I could save some of it for dental work I need, maybe a couple of years down the road. But my three-year-old gets ear infections and my husband has chronic allergies. After 4 visits to the pediatrician for antibiotics for her, and a trip to the ER for him, we used up the HSA money and then some. How will I ever get ahead?

Feeling Stretched

Helpful
Not Helpful
Expand Story

Dear E.B.,

I’ve just been given a clean bill of health after a bout with cancer and couldn’t be more grateful for my new lease on life. But “Me 2.0” is faced with two questions and I just don’t know where to begin. First, my doctor and care team have encouraged me to adopt a strict and healthy diet. I want to do this but need motivation and guidance about how to avoid the typical holiday unhealthy indulgences. And then there’s the issue of the medical bills. I found a shoebox full of receipts and “EOBs” from various doctors and hospitals generated throughout my treatment. With all of my energy focused on getting well, I just couldn’t focus on making sense of it all, but now realize that even if Me 2.0 had a PhD, it would still be overwhelming. My employer offers a bunch of programs and services, but I just don’t know where to start.

Me 2.0

Helpful
Not Helpful
Expand Story